What do you know about mango?
The exotic mango fruit for us is one of the most common in Southeast Asia. Its fruits are sold in local markets, in supermarkets or simply along the road in cars. But all this exotic can be seen only in the period of its mass maturation. The name of the mango in translation means “great fruit”, which is why you can often hear that the locals call it “Fruit King”.
Mango is an evergreen tree, the height of which sometimes reaches 40 meters. But modern breeders produced dwarf breeds, which is very convenient for those who grow this fruit on an industrial scale.
At a young age, the leaves of the tree are painted in a reddish tint, but over time, the older the plant, the stronger the saturated green color will appear.
During flowering, the crown is covered with small yellow flowers. There are several varieties of mango, each of them is different in color and size of the fruit itself. And some are even prone to self-pollination. Fruits are not tied if the tree grows in inappropriate climatic conditions. Night temperature should be above 13 degrees. Mango does not like a high level of humidity, for the fruitful growth should be fresh air and a sufficient amount of light. That is why the plant tries to plant in the open
What does a mango look like?
Mango peel is quite dense and smooth. The pulp is fibrous with a sweet taste. Inside is a large bone of light yellow color, slightly flattened on both sides.
Mangoes can be yellow, green, orange, red. In shape, they resemble a slightly elongated egg-shaped structure. The average weight varies from 200-250 grams. But quite often you can find fruits that weigh up to 400-500 grams, and these champions are considered to weigh up to 1.5 kilograms.
When is the mango season in Thailand?
Mango – one of the most delicious fruits of Thailand. The climate of the country is perfect for ripening this tropical delicacy. I just want to draw your attention to the fact that the fruit season is very short and lasts only from April to May. It was at this time that all the markets of the country are overflowing with yellow fruits, and the price per kilogram drops to 15-20 baht.
Of course, in large supermarkets you can find mango all year round, that’s just the price and taste will be appropriate. Thais are very fond of this fruit, they eat it even in a green form, adding to it all sorts of hot spices. Mango, one of those fruits that can be taken out of the country. Therefore, if you not only want to enjoy the juicy taste of ripe fruits, but also to please your loved ones with them, choose the right time to travel to rest. And also read how to take out fruit from Thailand.
To taste the real taste of mango, you need to find a fruit that has ripened on the tree. Fruits purchased from our store will have slightly different taste, as they are still torn off the green. Thai mango has a special flavor, reminiscent of a combination of ripe pineapple and peach. Its pulp just melts in your mouth. Eaten a piece, can quench your thirst, fill the body with freshness and coolness and at the same time awaken the appetite. More subtle gourmets generally find it difficult to compare its taste with any fruit we know.
Benefits of mango
On the beneficial properties of mango can talk for hours. There are really a lot of benefits from it, which is why we will try to highlight the most basic points:
- First of all, it is the main “supplier” of ascorbic acid. There are several times more vitamin C in it than in lemons. Due to this feature, the fruit is recommended to eat with a cold
- Mango is able to positively affect the human bone tissue and at the same time accelerates the process of wound healing.
- Mango fruits can lower cholesterol in the blood.
- During the experiment, American scientists found that the fruit accelerates the excretion of sugar from the human body. Due to such features, the fruit is worth to those who have diabetes or have a tendency to be overweight.
- Fetal effects on the cardiovascular system are not less. The components that they contain, can strengthen blood vessels, as well as facilitate the flow of inflammation and allergies.
- Due to the fact that mango contains large amounts of vitamins A and C, it is much easier for the body to tolerate colds. If the body does not have enough vitamin A, then it may affect the quality of vision in the evening.
- Mango components are able to destroy free radicals that negatively affect brain cells. It can also serve as a prevention of cancer, namely breast and prostate cancer.
- Due to the high content of potassium, the fruit is able to regulate blood pressure, as well as maintain electrolyte, water, and acid-base balance.
- High fiber content improves the digestive system, normalizes the intestinal microflora and removes all toxins from the body.
- Vitamin B6 is able to cope with stressful situations. Regular consumption of fruit helps calm down and improve the health of the nervous system.
- Mango is also a dietary product, it is able to improve metabolic processes and accelerate the excretion of body fluids.
Mango allergy, how to avoid?
Despite such a huge list of healthy qualities of mango, there is still a group of people who need to be careful when using this fruit:
- It is not advisable to eat it for children under 3 years old. The fact is that mango is an exotic fruit, which is practically not represented in our countries. It is not known how the children’s organism can react to the introduction of a new product.
- After you have eaten a piece of fruit, try to eliminate alcohol intake for at least 2-3 hours.
- Mango is contraindicated for owners of sensitive mucosa.
- Caution should also be those who are prone to allergic reactions.
How to choose a mango?
Choosing a ripe mango can sometimes seem rather difficult. Due to the rich colors, the exact appearance characteristics simply do not exist. But still there are a few rules that you should pay attention to when buying mangoes:
- The peel of a ripe fruit should be smooth, shiny and beautiful. The presence of small brown patches will also talk about the maturity of the fetus.
- To the touch, the fruit is quite dense and heavy. By pushing lightly on it, a small dent should form, which almost immediately flattens out. Too soft fruits will say that inside they begin to deteriorate.
- If the mango has overcome, then its peel will be flabby with numerous deep wrinkles.
- The aroma of ripe fruit is pleasant and delicate with a sweet tinge. Alcoholic notes and the presence of acid in the smell will say that the fruit is spoiled.
- If you buy too green fruit, it is unlikely at home can bring them to a ripe state.
How to store mango?
Mango can be stored in the refrigerator, and at room temperature. It all depends on what quality fruit you purchased. If the fruit is slightly greenish, it is best to leave them in the room. If you purchased ripe fruits, then for their preservation it is advisable to use the refrigerator compartment. Those who wish to preserve tasty pulp for several months should put the fruit in the freezer.
How to eat mango?
There are several ways to clean a mango:
- The easiest way is to take a sharp knife and carefully peel off the fruit. Then separate the flesh from the bone and cut it into small pieces. It should be borne in mind that the fruits are quite juicy and during such cleaning, their juice can stain hands or clothing.
- The second method will be more aesthetic. With the help of a knife along the bone cut the halves of the fruit. Then cross-wise cuts are made on them. At the same time, the integrity of the skin should be maintained. Turn the halves slightly inside out and cut off the diamonds with a knife.
- If the mango is slightly overwhelmed, then it can be cut into two halves, and the pulp to eat with a spoon.
- Mango is truly recognized as one of the tastiest fruits, which is also rich in various vitamins and trace elements. Feel the true taste and aroma of the fruit is possible only when traveling to tropical countries. That is why try to choose the right rest time so that the trip will be remembered not only by swimming in the sea but also by getting acquainted with new fruits.