What is quince?
Quince is a plant of the family Pink. It is believed that these fruits are among the most ancient cultures that were used by man. Today, quinces are grown almost all over the world.
Fruits of spherical or pear-shaped form have the size of a large apple. The color of the fruit depends on the variety, so it can be light yellow and dark yellow. The dense skin is covered with thick soft fibers. Inside there is a stiff pulp, while it is distinguished by its dryness and sweetish taste. Quince is considered tart fruit. Inside the fruit are numerous large brown seeds.
How to choose quince?
To choose the right quince, you should decide what period of time it will be stored. Ripe, that is, fully matured options will be suitable in the event that you plan to eat them or succumb to the culinary processing in the near future. Such fruits should not be stone to the touch. If the quince is purchased for future use, then this principle cannot be adhered to. The most important thing when choosing fruits is to check their integrity. There should be no damage to the quince and any specks. Its color should be uniform. Pay attention also to the aroma of quince. Mature fruit will always be fragrant.
How to keep quince?
Keep quince simple enough. Suitable temperature conditions for this range from zero to four degrees Celsius. Thus, the refrigerator, or rather its fruit compartment, is suitable for this purpose as well as possible. If you have to store large amounts of quince, you can put the fruit in boxes and send them to the cellar or cellar. The bottom of the box must be lined with straw or sacking or newspapers. In addition, each fruit must be wrapped. This can be done with any paper, incl. and with the help of newspapers. Between the rows of fruits, you need to do the same layer as in the bottom of the box.
The proposed method of storing a quince can be from sixty to one hundred twenty days, depending on what characteristics of keeping quality the fruit variety that you purchased has.
If you are wondering how to eat quince, then, for sure, a couple of three fruits already exist in your kitchen. Eating this fruit can be both fresh and in processed form. If you prefer the first option, then note that the quince has some tartness. However, such an effect can be reduced to a minimum with the help of a roasting procedure. It also helps to soften the flesh of the fruit.
How to cook quince?
Fresh quinces are rarely used, which cannot be said about baked and cooked fruits that are part of many dishes. Often this fruit is used to make various desserts. Quince is prepared from jelly, marmalade, candied fruits, jam. In addition, a variety of drinks are prepared from fruits, for example, compotes or juices.
Since quince has an unusual taste, it is used as a side dish, which is perfect for meat dishes. Canned quince is very popular in Caucasian cuisine. In addition, the fruit can be dried and dried. Follow my best recipe of quince pie.
Ingredients for “Curd Quince Pie”:
- Vegetable oil – 80 ml
- Baking powder dough – 1 package.
- Sugar (plus 2 tbsp. In syrup) – 200 g
- Wheat flour / Flour – 300 g
- Chicken Egg – 3 pcs
- Cottage cheese (soft, without grains) – 300 g
- Water – 250 ml
- Quince (large) – 1 pc
- Lemon zest – 0.5 tsp.
How to make Quince Pie?
- To clean the quince, remove the seeds (by the way, do not throw away the seeds, they can be dried, and when coughing with sputum, brew and take 1 tbsp. Take).
- Cut into 4 parts and cut into slices. Boil water, add sugar, a slice of lemon and quince.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until almost soft. Shumovkoy gets quince and let’s drain the syrup.
- Mix flour with baking powder, sift.
- Eggs and sugar very well beat in a blender until white, almost foam. Add butter and zest, beat.
- Add cottage cheese, flour mixture and mix very well.
- Evenly distribute the dough in shape and gently lay out the fruit, slightly pressing them into the dough.
- Bake in a preheated 180 g oven for 35-40 minutes. For 10 minutes you can get the cake, sprinkle with powdered sugar and back to the oven, this is for caramel crust.
- Delicate, fragrant and very tasty cake we have ready.
Beneficial features of quince
- Due to its rich composition, quince is used for the prevention and treatment of various diseases. For example, fruits can be used during the period of activity of viral diseases in order to reduce the effects of bacteria and viruses on the body. With regular use, you can improve your condition with high cholesterol, poisoning and various problems with the stomach.
- Quince fruits with leaves on the table close-up. Quince contains a large amount of fiber, which has a positive effect on the digestive system. Given this, it can be argued that the fruits are excellent prevention of constipation.
- Due to these properties, it is recommended to use quince for people who suffer from obesity. The composition of the fruit includes a large number of antioxidants, which help to improve the psychological state and nervous tension.
- Quince has a rich composition that allows you to use it for cosmetic purposes. Since the pulp contains a large number of fruit acids, it can be used as masks that have antiseptic and drying properties. The infusion of the fruit has an excellent cleansing and toning effect.
How to use Quince in medicine?
The benefits of quince are known for a long time, considering it is not surprising that in folk medicine there are a huge number of recipes using fruit. Not only the flesh has healing properties, but also the seeds of the fruit. For example, the decoction, which is prepared on the basis of seeds, is used as a laxative, as well as a coating agent. Also, this decoction can be used when undergoing treatment for diseases of the respiratory tract to reduce cough.
Since the decoction has an enveloping property, it can be used as lotions for eye diseases. Quince juice is also useful, for example, it can be used as a lotion for hemorrhoids to reduce pain. If you make a decoction of the leaves of the plant, you can get rid of the manifestations of early gray hair. Crushed boiled fruits are used during the treatment of liver diseases.
Can quince bring some harm?
Damage to quinces can result from overeating. This can cause intestinal blockage and irritation of the mucous membrane. Therefore, a contraindication for fruit is its excessive consumption. In addition, fetuses can cause spasms of enterocolitis and ulcers. It should also be borne in mind that fluff that covers the fruit can cause coughing.
Types and varieties of quince
Quince throughout the history of its existence to the extent that how comprehensively it was studied was represented by different species and according to taxonomy belonged to different genera. For example, for a long time, this fruit belonged to the genus Pyrus (pear), along with Rowan and apples. A little later, the quince was attributed to the genus Pyrus japonica (Japanese pear). In addition, the same genus belonged to decennia (evergreen quince), as well as Chinese quince. Then there was a quince also a representative of the genera Chaenomeles, Cydonia, Pseudocydonia. Today, the fruit is still related to the genus Cydonia. Now it is represented by a single species, namely, common quince or, as it is also called, oblong quince.
On this, however, the characteristic of the fruit does not end there. So, there are five quince garden groups:
- A quince among the leaves on a branch of a wooden quince is an ornamental tree, distinguished by its leaves (they are covered with white and yellow spots);
- Pyramidal quince – this species is also considered decorative and its peculiarity is that the crown of the tree has a pyramidal shape;
- The pear-shaped quince is a garden tree species, which is grown for pear-shaped fruits;
- Apple-shaped quince – this species is also grown for its tasty fruits, which, according to their name, are apple-shaped;
- Portuguese quince is another garden variety, the fruits of which are rather pear-shaped with a ribbed surface.