Today there are several varieties of salad, but in the original version of the creator, there was no seafood. They were then added to the recipe by the brother of the cook – Alex, probably also want to become famous. Motives of a relative were quite reasonable and understandable. Indeed, in 1953, the classic Caesar salad was awarded the title of the best US recipe of the last fifty years.
In the classic version, the main ingredients of the salad are wheat croutons, romaine lettuce and grated parmesan, seasoned with a special sauce, which is the essence of the recipe. The basis of the Caesar dressing is fresh eggs (yolks), soaked for 1 minute in boiling water and cooled. Eggs are whipped with olive oil and seasoned with garlic, lemon juice and Worcester sauce. In the classical form, the salad is quite light, so more high-calorie foods are often added to it, for example, boiled or fried chicken.
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 anchovy fillets or 3/4 tsp Anchovy paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise , preferably whole egg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , or 1/4 cup store bought grated parmesan cheese
- 2 - 4 tbsp milk (to adjust consistency)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 chicken breast fillets , skin on or skinless (~500 -600g/13oz - 1lb)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices white bread , 2/3" / 1.5cm thick (to make 1 cup of croutons)
- 1 garlic , cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 - 5 oz/100g - 150g bacon , chopped
- 2 - 4 eggs
- 1 large or 2 medium romaine / cos lettuce , washed and dried (Note 4)
- Freshly grated parmesan
- More anchovies (optional!)
- Bacon: Add the bacon into the skillet and cook until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Eggs: Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Place over medium high heat and bring to simmer. Once the water is simmering, turn down to medium (gentle simmer) and cook for 3 minutes (for soft centres), 4 minutes for firm yolks and 7 minutes for hard boiled. Remove eggs, run under cold water for 15 seconds then leave submerged in a bowl of cold tap water for 5 minutes. Peel then set aside. (Note 6)
- Chop lettuce to desired size - I just stack the leaves and cut into 1 inch strips.
- Assembly: Place lettuce in a bowl with half the chicken and half the bacon. Drizzle with dressing then toss. Top with remaining chicken and bacon, croutons, place eggs on the side and garnish with freshly grated parmesan if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1026 Total Fat 78g Saturated Fat 21g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 53g Cholesterol 301mg Sodium 2630mg Carbohydrates 19g Fiber 5g Sugar 4g Protein 61g
What is in a Caesar Salad?
Caesar salad is one of those dishes that is is really simple but of course, you can add basically anything to it! I love turning mine into a grilled chicken caesar by adding grilled chicken, or keep it a delicious side dish by adding things like bacon, green onions or even avocados!
A classic caesar salad recipe has a few components to it. Caesar salad ingredients consist of:
- Dressing: Caesar salad dressing is creamy, rich, and tangy. It usually has an acidic component such as lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, and anchovies in it.
- Romaine lettuce: Romaine lettuce has a darker colour than iceberg lettuce, and is slightly more bitter yet very flavorful.
- Croutons: Homemade Croutons are usually made by baking or quick frying your bread pieces in oil or butter on high for a short amount of time. They add an amazing crunch to your Caesar salad.
- Parmesan cheese: A very fragrant and rich cheese, parmesan cheese pairs perfectly with the tanginess from Caesar salad dressing.
How to Make Croutons:
The crunchy homemade garlic croutons really elevate this salad, making it look and taste quite fancy. The cheese crusted onto each little toast will have you snacking on these croutons!
- Cut the baguette in half lengthwise and slice into 1/4″ thick pieces and place on a baking sheet.
- Combine 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic. toss bread with garlic infused the oil and 2 Tbsp parmesan.
- Spread Evenly and Bake to desired crispness.
How to Make Caesar Salad Dressing:
The Caesar salad dressing comes together so fast and all you need is a bowl and whisk. This Caesar dressing is light, healthy and packs so much fresh flavour without needing much salt at all.
- Whisk together minced garlic, Dijon, Worcestershire, lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
- Whisking while adding oil emulsifies the dressing for a smooth and creamy (not oily) consistency.
- Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste.
How to grill chicken?
Chicken fillet must be well washed and cut into flat slices. Salt and pepper each of them, and then put them in a pre-heated olive or sunflower oil in a frying pan. Fry until golden brown, and cut into identical square or oblong pieces.
- The anchovy fillets are key to achieve a true restaurant quality flavour. You can’t taste it, but it’s the seasoning for the sauce so if you skip it, you’ll need to add more salt. Make sure you use the dark brown anchovy fillets in oil that come in a jar or can in the canned fish aisle of supermarkets, not the white anchovy fillets that are brined in vinegar, not oil, that are typically sold at delis, not prepackaged.
- Anchovies in a jar (it’s small) are more convenient than cans because they keep for ages in the fridge. Next time you make an olive oil based or tomato PASTA, chop up an anchovy or two and saute it with the onions, then add the other sauce ingredients. It gives the pasta an extra something-something flavour – this is a restaurant secret!
- If you really prefer not to use anchovies, 1 tsp of fish sauce will be an adequate substitute.
- Whole egg mayonnaise is not as vinegary as normal vinegar.
- Store bought pre-grated parmesan is denser than freshly grated which is why you don’t need as much.
- Dressing won’t coat wet lettuce so make sure it’s dried!
- Don’t think the dressing too much, otherwise, it won’t cling to the lettuce. You can whizz it up in a blender or use a stick blender too!
- Cooling the eggs stops them from cooking further and helps make it easy to peel them.
- The purpose of this step is to add garlic flavour to the croutons. I prefer not to toss the croutons in minced garlic because the garlic burns before the croutons turn golden.
- Nutrition per serving (4 serves), assuming 2 eggs (i.e. half egg per person) and 3/4 of the dressing is used. If the bacon is substituted with turkey bacon, the calorie per serving is 557 calories.
How to keep Caesar salad fresh?
You can keep Caesar salad for two days, but since there are croutons and lettuce leaves in the composition, it is better to eat it during the first day. Caesar will not spoil, but the croutons will soften, and the leaves of the salad may turn black and fade.