Let’s see my favorite easy macaroni salad recipe! Made with classic ingredient staples including celery, red pepper, and onion and dressed up in a simple creamy mayo-based dressing. Macaroni salad is very simple to cook, and you can use all the ingredients you have in the refrigerator.
What can I add to my macaroni salad?
- Peas: Just throw them in frozen peas, they will defrost without problems.
- Ham: Ham sliced ham is also very popular, especially in the Hawaiian version, which also has pineapple, it looks like pizza
- Red onions: they are slightly sweeter than yellow
- Tuna: Tuna macaroni salad is very popular and is an ideal choice for a simple picnic, also a good percent of protein
- Eggs: chopped eggs are light and very popular mixture that I sometimes use. Use 3-4 large eggs that have been hard-boiled.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese slices added to your salad are a light addition of protein.
- Noodles: You can take any pasta as want
- Meat: my favorite BBQ pulled chicken, but can add chicken if you want
Prep Time 15 minutesCook Time 10 minutesTotal Time 25 minutes
- 8 oz macaroni noodles (227g)
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet gherkins usually 4-6 sweet gherkins for me (80g)
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper about 1/2 pepper (100g)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery about 1-2 stalks (55g)
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion (45g)
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, finely diced
- Macaroni Salad Dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise I use olive oil mayo (175g)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (70g)
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar*
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
How to make macaroni salad?
Cook the pasta noodles according to the package instructions. Immediately drain the water and rinse with cold water, then sprinkle a teaspoon of olive oil and mix gently so that the noodles do not stick together when they sit.
In a large bowl, mix the pasta with noodles, sweet pickles, red pepper, celery, red onion and eggs. Stir until well blended. Set aside and prepare your gas station.
To make pasta salad dressing, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, red wine vinegar, sweet pickled juice, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chopped red pepper (if used) in a medium-sized bowl. Beat until the ingredients are well mixed.
Pour the dressing on the ingredients of the pasta salad and mix.
For a better taste, cover the bowl and let the pasta salad cool for at least one hour. Stir again before serving and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 443 Total Fat 30g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 23g Cholesterol 82mg Sodium 694mg Carbohydrates 38g Fiber 2g Sugar 20g Protein 6g
How to make Pasta for Kids
I favorite version to make funny pasta, just add red sweet pepper, orange sweet pepper, yellow sweet pepper, green sweet pepper, it the best way to make a colorful meal. Believe me, your child gonna love this rainbow salad recipe
One more option to make a tasty salad recipe – make Hawaiian salad version. You will need grated onions, pineapple, carrots, and sometimes ham. It is usually served with steamed rice, but you can make with pasta of tortilla and classic Hawaiian barbecue meat.
How long can you keep macaroni salad?
Macaroni salad will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I prefer to serve this salad the next day. You can serve it to go, but try not to leave it out at room temperature for very long as the salad dressing base will not keep well in the heat.