Today I would like to show you how to make the best Potato Salad.
The confirmation of potato salad, its portability, festivity and – depending on the cook – a blank sheet for creativity was attractive to Americans from the second half of the 19th century.
Immigrants and travellers in America presented many styles, including variations of Nicoise salad (French salad of potatoes, olives, green beans, and tuna, seasoned with vinaigrette) and Russe salad (potatoes in cubes, peas, and carrots associated with mayonnaise). German settlers brought hot potato salad, and this savoury combination of warm potatoes, lightly seasoned with hot fat with bacon and vinegar, entrenched in Pennsylvania and the entire Midwest. This is an adaptation of the classic version.
- 2 pounds small yellow, red, or white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider, wine, or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, substitute Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium dill pickle, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, or cilantro)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to prepare potatoes?
- Add potatoes to a large bowl and pour 1 1/2 inches of water. Season with salt - use one teaspoon for each liter of water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes (depends on size)
- in the meantime, arrange an ice bath. Add cold water to a bowl of ice. Drain the potatoes and add to the ice bath. After, brush the potatoes, gently squeezing the skin and pulling it out. Cut the peeled potatoes into small pieces then add to a large bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with vinegar and lightly season with salt.
- While potatoes are preparing, add onions in a small bowl and pour warm water. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse. (It softens the raw onion flavor).
Next step of making easy potato salad
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl.
- Add sour cream, onions, celery, pickled cucumbers, eggs and greens to the sour cream. Stir gently to combine. (Try not mashed potatoes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If you have time, cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
How to determine if potato salad is bad? If potato salad has an unpleasant smell, taste or appearance.
Amount Per Serving Calories 276 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 93mg Sodium 320mg Carbohydrates 24g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Protein 6g
Ultimate guide: how to cook potatoes?
How to chose potatoes?
Potatoes are divided into three main categories, depending on their structure – starchy, universal and wax. Stick with wax potatoes — for example, Red Bliss, New, or Fingerling — for potato salad. These varieties contain the least amount of starch and best of all retain their shape during cooking. Generic potatoes (which contain slightly more starch than waxy), such as white and Yukon Gold, are also suitable choices for potato salad.
How to cook?
When we cook vegetables, we often put them in boiling water, but not in the case with potatoes. The biggest problem with stuffing potatoes in boiling water is uneven cooking. This leads to the fact that the external part of the potato is digested and becomes soft, and the internal is undercooked. The key to a perfectly cooked potato is to start it in a saucepan with cold water.
What about seasoning?
A good potato salad should be seasoned, especially if served cold. The key to well-seasoned potato salad is to add salt to the water when the potatoes will be already cooked. Potatoes absorb some salt, carefully seasoning them from the inside and making them more fragrant. If necessary, season again.
How long to boil potatoes for potato salad?
Potatoes are the main ingredient and should be cooked perfectly. Cook them until they are soft when they are pierced with a fork. Depending on the type of potato and the size of the potato cubes, it will take from eight to 12 minutes.
Potato Salad Dressing
Dressing a salad with a vinaigrette, season the potatoes with sauce, while it is still warm. They will absorb some of the salad and become more fragrant. When cooking salad based on mayonnaise, the opposite happens. Let the potatoes cool for at least 30 minutes and mayonnaise does not become oily when you mixed it.
How long does potato salad last?
The exact answer to this question largely depends on the storage conditions – chill the potato salad for two hours after cooking or purchasing.
How long does potato salad last in the refrigerator?
To prolong the shelf life of potato salad to ensure safety and quality, place potato salad in sealed containers in the refrigerator. With proper storage, potato salad will serve in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
How long can potato salad be left at room temperature?
Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 ° F and 140 ° F; potato salad should be thrown away if left for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
How to keep salad fresh?
Potato salad will be even fresh if you keep it all time in the fridge, and just serving a small portion on the table if it will be needed.
Can you freeze potato salad?
No, the moisture in the potato salad makes it moist and floury. After you put it in the freezer, separated mayonnaise changes the taste and texture of the whole dish. If you add onions, celery or peppers to potato salad, they will defrost into soft, tasteless versions of their former selves. Boiled eggs are also poorly frozen in combination with other dairy ingredients.